Thursday, November 20, 2008

Implicit Associations

I just completed a few tests online that reveal my implicit associations. And, frankly, some of the results I got are disturbing. You see, the test results revealed that I am not as fair as I thought I was. For example, as with most of the people who have taken the test, the result of my Race IAT test revealed that I strongly associate Good with White people and strongly associate Bad with Black people. The interesting thing about this particular test is that the results that I got are true across the board out of all test takers, regardless of their race. In other words, even black people themselves statistically get the same results that I got. You can make your own conclusion about why most people have this implicit bias. I have mine: the culture that I am in, which is largely affected, and in many ways, dictated by the media, has a far-deeper effect in our psyche than we want to believe and accept.

There are other tests as well, with results that may be equally disturbing. You have to take the tests to find out how 'fair' you think you are and compare your assessment to what the test reveals.

The value, though, of finding our hidden, or not so hidden, biases is that when we find these biases then we are able to address the implications of these biases in our day-to-day actions and choices, if we choose to.

Here's the link:

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

No comments:

Post a Comment